[CDBI] has_many inflate?

William Ross will at spanner.org
Tue Aug 9 10:42:00 BST 2005

On 9 Aug 2005, at 00:48, Christopher H. Laco wrote:

> Do all of the reltionships support inflate?
>
> Currently I've got an old 3-argument style has_many:
>

>> __PACKAGE__->has_many(_items => 'Handel::Order::Item', 'orderid');
>>

> I want to specify an inflate in a secondary has_many [to turn off
> autoupdates in rare circumstances] and still keep that foreign key
> field name argument, but I'm not having any luck.
>

>> __PACKAGE__->has_many(_items => 'Handel::Order::Item', 'orderid');
>> __PACKAGE__->has_many(_items_no_update => 'Handel::Order::Item',
>> inflate => 'new_autoupdateoff', 'orderid');

There isn't an inflate argument to has_many: one of many
inconsistencies that I hope Tony's new architecture will eliminate.
However, you can use the shortcut that's normally meant for joining
relationships to return the results of any other method called on the
foreign object:

   __PACKAGE__->has_many(_items => ['Handel::Order::Item' =>
'noautoupdate'], 'orderid');

will call $object->noautoupdate for each related object and return
the results of that call instead of the object itself.

However, all this is nasty hackery and uses methods which are
themselves ugly sticking plaster solutions to achieve ends other than
the ones they were meant for. So I wouldn't recommend it.

Much better to go back to basic requirements and see how they can be
met, which seems to be where your conversation with Ed is going.

will