[CDBI] order by a foreign key

Randal L. Schwartz merlyn at stonehenge.com
Tue Aug 16 16:48:29 BST 2005

>>>>> "Marcello" == Marcello  <m.romani at spinsoft.it> writes:

Marcello> I have two tables, 'cd' and 'artist', whose model classes are
Marcello> MyApp::Cd and MyApp::Artist.

Marcello> MyApp::Artist is stringified as 'name'

Marcello> The relationship is:
Marcello> MyApp:Cd->has_a( artist => MyApp::Artist );

Marcello> MyApp::Cd uses Class::DBI::Plugin::RetrieveAll, so I can say:
Marcello> my @cds = MyApp::Cd->retrieve_all_sorted_by( $order ); # e.g. title ASC

Marcello> And now to the point:
Marcello> if $order == 'artist' the @cds list gets ordered by the artist *id*,
Marcello> not by the artist name.

Marcello> What I would like to obtain is a list ordered by the foreign class's
Marcello> 'stringify' column.

Dunno how to do it with that plugin, but using this little trick
I came across one day...

my @ordered_cds = map $_->[0],
  sort { $a->[1] cmp $b->[1] }
  map [$_, $_->artist->stringify], MyApp::Cd->retrive_all;