[CDBI] How well does Class::DBI scale?

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Dec 18 05:24:14 GMT 2005

Sam Tregar wrote:

>> My question to the list: has anyone else run into these problems (too
>> many SQLs) and if so, have they found an automatable solution?
>

> Yes, and no.  We're doing exactly what you describe where I work -
> using CDBI but turning to hand-written SQL to generate reports.  The
> only difference from what you describe is the result - we're generally
> returning raw data from our queries, not objects using construct().
> Even building a CDBI object can take a surprising amount of time!

Interesting. I thought about using raw results (hashes) but it
would mean even changing more of the existing code.

Our problem is number of SQLs and the turnaround time to the DB
server. The CPU is fast and a few thousand construct() calls take
practically no time at all :) (3 GHz machine)

thanks,
rick