[CDBI] How well does Class::DBI scale?

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sun Dec 18 14:42:14 GMT 2005

On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 02:29:16PM +1100, Rick Welykochy wrote:
> 3. I have played with columns( Essential => all cols ) but observe very
> little
>    improvement (i.e. reduction) in the number of SQLs.

Are you saying that after a search that fetching a column from a CDBI
object triggers another select from the database for that column even
if the column is in Essential?

Take a look at CDBI::Sweet.  There's a few things that might help.
With Sweet you can specify joins in your query.  And with Sweet you can
also define custom SQL which is helpful if you are doing any aggregate
functions.

If you have not already done this, you can create views and define new
CDBI classes for those.  That can help reduce the number of trips to
the database.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org