[CDBI] Working with tables without primary keys?

Mark Schoonover schoon at amgt.com
Tue Nov 8 03:55:34 GMT 2005

Left to My Own Devices <mailto:nazareth at eye-of-newt.com> tapped at Monday,
November 07, 2005 6:49 PM:

>>  > Given a table like this:
>>>
>>>  +--------+----------+
>>>  | foo_id | foo_name |
>>>  +--------+----------+
>>>  |      0 | bar-1    |
>>>  |      8 | bar-2    |
>>>  |      3 | bar-3    |
>>>  |      8 | bar-4    |
>>>  |      7 | bar-5    |
>>>  |      4 | bar-6    |
>>>  |      7 | bar-7    |
>>>  |      4 | bar-8    |
>>>  |      0 | bar-9    |
>>>  +--------+----------+
>>
>> The primary key of that table seems to be (foo_id, foo_name).  At
>> least there are no dupes in this sample data.  Just set that as your
>> primary key.
>
> foo_name by itself is unique in this sample. If it's guaranteed to be
> unique, you could use it as the key.

It doesn't look unique to me, there's two eights, and two sevens, two fours,
two zeros.... Three is the only unique number... You can go to three, but
should not stop unless going to four, unless three is you final number, then
you should throw the grenade...

Thanks!

Mark Schoonover
IS Manager
American Geotechnical - California, Nevada and Arizona
V-> 714.685.3900 F-> 714.685.3909 C-> 858.472.3816

 "We are sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate
your phone 90 degrees and try again." Error number 3.14159.