[CDBI] Set utf8 character set on class connection?

Birgit Kellner birgit.kellner at univie.ac.at
Sun Nov 20 09:51:03 GMT 2005

Hi,

I've just started learning Class::DBI, and trying to find out how I can
adapt an existing script to it.

The database uses utf8 encoding in MySQL 4.1.
With DBI, for some reason I have to execute "set names utf8" after
setting up the database connection.
I have set all MySQL character variables to "utf8", but DBI doesn't seem
to read them.

Rewriting the script for Class::DBI, I've now defined this class
connection:
ILKB::DBI->connection("dbi:mysql:ilkb_test",'$usr','$pwd');

But how do I set the character set on this connection?
I was thinking of using "set_sql", but don't know the correct syntax.

Thanks in advance,

best regards,

Birgit Kellner