[CDBI] DBI's last_insert_id and Class::DBI's _auto_increment_value

David Steinbrunner carbon at pobox.com
Tue Nov 22 15:26:23 GMT 2005

Kingsley Kerce wrote:

> What's the significant difference between having an application in
> which you can edit a config file and change "Pg" to "mysql", and an
> application in which you can edit a single Perl file and change "Pg"
> to "mysql"?

For me it is a matter of abstraction.  If something about a systems can
modified it should be done in config and not in code because it can denote
that a giving change to the system is supported.  It also simplifies
documentation and reduces the possibility mistypes or forgotten changes to
code.  Another reason maybe that config files are revision controlled
differently than code because the have different natures.

--
David Steinbrunner