[CDBI] pass in database name from application

William Ross will at spanner.org
Mon Oct 10 10:35:39 BST 2005

On 10 Oct 2005, at 10:09, Steven Mackenzie wrote:

> I think Class::DBI::Factory is the solution to that problem. I'm
> looking
> at using it soon, but haven't yet ...
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~wross/Class-DBI-Factory-0.994/lib/Class/DBI/
> Factory.pm

It's a good answer, though not the only one. But if you haven't used
it yet I'd hold off for a day or two: there's a much improved version
about to go up once the tests are up to date. I might even label it
version 1, or maybe 3 :)

The standard approach to the many-databases question, and one of the
main things that CDF does for you, is to omit the connection(...)
call and supply your own database handles from a db_Main method in
your base class.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that the handles returned
by your method are of the same kind as the ones that cdbi normally
uses. Ed has listed the requirements here:

http://lists.digitalcraftsmen.net/pipermail/classdbi/2005-August/
000061.html

and there are lots of other messages in the list archive about this
topic...

best

will