[CDBI] Re: Use of _remember_handle in db_Main causes slowdown/huge memory use

Peter Speltz peterspeltz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 17:35:36 BST 2005

Does anyone know whatever became of the Ima::DBI patch for this?  If i
remember Perrin posted a couple  on the old list.   I do not remember
an agreement being reached as if it should be applied and it appears
to not have been applied to the last release (sept. 5) of Ima::DBI.

Is the fix on the wiki what people are still using?

Thanks,

Peter

On 10/19/05, Edward J. Sabol <sabol at alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> David Jack Olrik writes:
> > This will make class variable __Database_Names grow each time db_Main
> > is called which is bad.
>
> Good catch!
>
> > Under mod_perl this it will not leak/slowdown much, except when we
> > lose the connection to the database, and _remember_handle is called
> > again.
>
> That's probably why no one noticed this before. Presumably, only mod_perl
> programmers were using Perrin's db_Main() fix.
>
> > Moving __PACKAGE__->_remember_handle('Main'); outside of db_Main fixes
> > the problem.
>
> I agree.
>
> > If no-one objects I'll update the wiki...
>
> Go for it.
>
> > Perrin: Any comments ?
>
> I don't think Perrin ever joined the new CDBI mailing list. He hasn't posted
> until after the transition, so I suspect he hasn't. You might want to e-mail
> him directly.
>
> Later,
> Ed

pjs