[CDBI] Is Class::DBI slow?

Ankur Gupta Ankur.Gupta at synopsys.com
Fri Apr 28 10:54:15 BST 2006

Hi All,

My first try with Class::DBI and DBI modules and I find that making a
query using Class::DBI takes much much more time than just DBI.

Is it me who is doing something wrong or Class::DBI is always slow(I
have kind of feeling that its me who is doing something wrong).

Also, I have another question.
Why do I need to specify the column names, primary keys in Class::DBI
while not in DBI? I mean, how is DBI module able to determine the
primary keys and other fields while Class::DBI not.

I have ~40k records and using mysql 5.0.

*** using DBI ***

use strict;
use warnings;
use DBI();

my $dbh =
DBI->connect("DBI:mysql:database=scratch;host=blah","user","passwd");

my $sth = $dbh->prepare("SELECT field from table where user =
'user1'");
$sth->execute();
while (my $ref = $sth->fetchrow_hashref()) {
    print $ref->{field}, "\n";

}

$sth->finish();
$dbh->disconnect();

## Returns the result in a flash

*** using Class::DBI ***

use strict;
use warnings;

use Test::Personal;
my @users = Test::Personal->search(user => "user1");

foreach my $u ( @users ){
    print $u->field, "\n";
}

## Returns the result very slowly.

____Test::Personal____

package Test::Personal;
use base 'Test::DBI';

Test::Personal->table('table');
Test::Personal->columns(Primary => qw/user start_time/);
Test::Personal->columns(Others => qw/field/);

1;

package Test::DBI;
use base 'Class::DBI';

Test::DBI->connection('dbi:mysql:database=scratch;host=blah', 'user',
'password');

1;

BTW, I posted this message to perl.beginners, perl.dbi.users and
comp.lang.perl.misc. I did not get an answer but got a pointer to this
list.

--Ankur