[CDBI] Re: Many-to-Many - why no CDBI::Relationship?

Edward J. Sabol sabol at alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Aug 22 02:26:14 BST 2006

> Are most people happy writing custom SQL as needed? Or constructing
> the appropriate search query in Class::DBI::Sweet? As far as I can
> tell, Sweet can get many-to-many related objects with one query, but
> you have to construct the correct ->search.

FWIW, I don't use custom SQL or use CDBI::Sweet for my many-to-many
relationships. I've always been happy enough with the standard method for
defining many-to-many relationships in Class::DBI, as documented in the pod at
http://search.cpan.org/~tmtm/Class-DBI/lib/Class/DBI.pm#MANY_TO_MANY_RELATIONSHIPS

Would a HasManyToMany Relationship subclass be useful? Sure.

Aaron Trevena created the HasManyOrdered Relationship which claims to support
many-to-many relationships. I've never used it though. You might want to look
into that.

Later,
Ed