[CDBI] column case sensitivity (Pg)

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Aug 22 20:52:50 BST 2006

Sam Tregar wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Matt S Trout wrote:
>
>>> I've listed the changes below, unless there is a good reason to have
>>> ClassDBI only work with lowercase column names maybe this could be
>>> incorporated in the main branch of ClassDBI? That way anyone can
>>> have a lousily designed database and still use ClassDBI...
>>
>> That wouldn't be backwards compatible.
>>
>> You'd probably be better switching to DBIx::Class, which already
>> supports this.
>
> Easy there, cowboy.  It's probably no big deal to make these changes
> optional.  Many modules have a case-sensitivity switch.  No need to
> jump ship yet!
This is entirely true, but I can't really see the point of new
development in Class::DBI at this point. It's a great old workhorse and
I imagine I'll be maintaining production apps using it for a while yet,
but the entire reason for DBIx::Class was that Tony and I chatted and
came to the conclusion Class::DBI was basically unrefactorable and the
only way to significantly improve it was to make a fresh start. So I
did. The result now has a dozen active contributors and a vastly more
active community, so I guess by at least some metrics we succeeded :)