[CDBI] column case sensitivity (Pg)

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Aug 23 17:44:42 BST 2006

Sam Tregar wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Matt S Trout wrote:
>
>> This is entirely true, but I can't really see the point of new
>> development in Class::DBI at this point.
>
> That's fine.  I can't see the point of new development in Mason. Do
> you think the Mason community would appreciate it if I jumped on their
> mailing-list and started answering questions about minor fixes with
> suggestions to use CGI::Application instead?  I find your constant
> attempts to push DBIx::Class on this list to be in similarly poor
> taste.
My apologies, although I disagree with you about Mason; Mason on its
own, perhaps not, but it's still a valuable and useful piece of software
as part of a larger system, even for development from scratch.

I try to offer answers that fix CDBI problems when it's clear it's
simple to fix it, but I'm fairly sure the knock-on effects of
case-sensitivity would leave a lot of software that makes assumptions
based on previous versions of CDBI broken so I don't think it's an
effective route.

I disagree with people who post content-free DBIC advocacy (and have Had
Words with several of them in the past), but I do try and make a useful
contribution to this list as well, and so far I've received an order of
magnitude more messages saying "thankyou thankyou thankyou for
mentioning this, I've switched and I'm so much happier now" (let alone
thankyou messages from CDBI users whose problems I've solved without
trying to persuade them to switch at all) than I have complaints about mine.

I'd also like to point out that while my actions may be considered in
poor taste, there's a long precedent of this being done by successor
systems; I believe I read somewhere that Larry intentionally delayed the
creation of a comp.lang.perl for as long as possible in order to keep
the early perl user base infesting the shell newsgroups and making
converts, although of course now I look for it I'm unable to find a
suitable citation.

Finally, my offer to help anybody wanting to port DBIC features to CDBI
to further extend CDBI's capabilities has been open and the offer still
stands; I believe Perrin has done so in internal code for his $dbh
management and there are at least a couple of other examples of this.
I've also had a couple of productive correspondences with Tony about the
differing ways the two pieces of software do things when he's been
considering how to move Class::DBI forward himself.

I know my attitude and comments offend some people, but on balance I
tend towards the principle of: I can only mention that an alternative
exist, the users can vote with their editors, and I seem to be making a
lot more people happier and more productive than I offend, no matter
what library they're using. So my apologies for any offence caused, but
while I'll do my best to keep my comments toned down I don't really see
a justification for stopping making them.