[CDBI] column case sensitivity (Pg)

.--- .- -- . ... yoorobot at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 15:39:49 BST 2006

Though, I don't really have any plans to use it, I for one am not bothered
by MT's pimping of DBIx.   I think that he's been a very helpful contributor
to this group (pimping aside).  I'm more perturbed by the sort of
personal resentment that seems to be bubbling up on this thread... hardly a
word for weeks and then BAM!

- james

On 8/23/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:

> Sam Tregar wrote:
> > On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Matt S Trout wrote:
> >
> >> My apologies, although I disagree with you about Mason; Mason on its
> >> own, perhaps not, but it's still a valuable and useful piece of
> >> software as part of a larger system, even for development from
> >> scratch.
> >
> > That's exactly what I think of Class::DBI!  And wouldn't you think it
> > was pretty rude if I started pushing CGI::Application on the Mason
> > list?
> Not if you were pushing the use of CGI::Application with Mason, no. It
> would seem perfectly logical.
>
> Just like when mugwump has his Tangram-style-OODB-atop-DBIx::Class layer
> written I'll fully expect him to push the use of it on the DBIC list to
> people who look like suitable candidates.
> > Finally, my offer to help anybody wanting to port DBIC features to
> >> CDBI to further extend CDBI's capabilities has been open and the
> >> offer still stands;
> >
> > I don't see how this fits with telling a guy who wants a minor change
> > in Class::DBI that he'd be better off using DBIx::Class.  Are you only
> > willing to help port some features, but not others?  I didn't see any
> > evidence of a willingness to help improve Class::DBI in this
> > instance.
> In this instance, based on prior experience and a pretty thorough
> knowledge of the Class::DBI internals and the internals of common plugins, I
> think it would be far, far more pain than the result would justify,
> especially for a new project.
>
> I'd also disagree that it's remotely a feature port; it's more the removal
> of a mis-feature (or unwise assumption or whatever you choose to call it) in
> CDBI, which experience tells me is generally far, far harder work. And given
> the plugin world is unlikely to catch up to such a change in any reasonable
> time, I don't honestly believe that it would improve the usefulness of
> Class::DBI in any significant way.
>
> So, my considered opinion in this specific instance is that it would be a
> waste of his time to try, so I stated that opinion for the record. You're
> welcome to hold a different opinion but there's no malice towards Class::DBI
> or to you in it, nor an unwillingness to help CDBI improve in ways that do
> offer a decent return for the effort involved or to help CDBI users who are
> happy with the capabilities of the system to get over a roadbump and
> continue to do so.
>
> --
>     Matt S Trout       Offering custom development, consultancy and
> support
> Technical Director    contracts for Catalyst, DBIx::Class and BAST.
> Contact
> Shadowcat Systems Ltd.  mst (at) shadowcatsystems.co.uk for more
> information
>
> + Help us build a better perl ORM:
> http://dbix-class.shadowcatsystems.co.uk/ +