[CDBI] Re: construct sucks.

Ryan Tate lists at ryantate.com
Sun Aug 27 20:43:20 BST 2006

On 8/27/06, Perrin Harkins <perrin at elem.com> wrote:

> And yes, the object index hurts performance.

My complaint is that CDBI is throwing away data when construct is
being used exactly as outlined in the docs. Construct essentially
becomes a no-op, nothing is done with the data I just went to the
trouble of pulling out of the db.

The point of LOI is to ensure just one of each object is in memory at
a time -- not to block addition of data to the object, which is what
is happening here, due to misdesign of construct method. And, really,
of the _init method, which sadly cannot be overridden in a sublass.

>  Ultimately, the scoping problems seem to
> outweigh the benefits, so I turn it off in my code now.

This seems to be the consensus solution, so I guess that's what I'll do.

Thanks for the reply.