[CDBI] Class::DBI::Iterator

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Sun Aug 27 22:18:05 BST 2006

Tom Metro wrote:
> As mentioned in a prior post, I had a need to write some methods that
> operated on collections of CDBI records, and found subclassing
> Class::DBI::Iterator as one solution. Below are some of the challenges I
> ran into and areas in which Class::DBI::Iterator seems deficient.
>
> In the existing code I was working on there was a parent record type and
> a child record type with a parent->has_many(child) type relationship set
> up. To flesh out the example a bit further, the child records held
> information on events, which could either be single occurrences or
> recurring. There was a requirement to be able to expand the recurring
> events in memory into a collection of single events, and combine those
> with any single events already in the collection. There was also a need
> to return the collection sorted by date, and the ability to access
> either the earliest or latest event in the collection.
>
> To accomplish the above in my Class::DBI::Iterator subclass I overrode
> the constructor to return the collection in sorted order, and then added
> a last() method to complement the existing first() method. That
> permitted code like:
>
> $parent->child->first; # earliest event
> $parent->child->last;  # latest event
>
> And then an expand() method was added, which builds the expanded list,
> and returns a new iterator object, so:
>
> $parent->child->expand->first; # earliest event in expanded list
>

> One of the complication I ran into when implementing this was the
> sorting. Objects in the iterator's list are not inflated, so sorting on
> anything but the ID requires first inflating the objects.
>
> The iterator class doesn't have an explicit method to inflate the
> objects. That behavior is embedded in the next() iteration method. So to
> inflate all the objects in the collection you have to loop over the
> collection by repeatedly calling next(), or equivalently use the slice()
> method.
>
> That seemed like functionality that should have been in
> Class::DBI::Iterator. In my subclass I added:
>
> # return entire (inflated) collection as an array ref
> sub all {
>     my $self = shift;
>
>     my @data = $self->slice(0, $self->count - 1);
>     $self->reset;
>     return \@data;
> }
>
> (If incorporated into the parent class, perhaps a better name can be
> chosen, and it should include "return @data if wantarray" to be
> consistent with the rest of the API.)
>
> You'll note my all() method includes a call to $self->reset. That's
> because slice() internally uses next(), which increments the internal
> position index, $self->{_place}. Either this is an oversight, or it was
> assumed that the caller would be discarding the original iterator object
> and not care about the state of the position index. slice() should
> probably be modified to incorporate a call to reset().

> [...]

By the time you're finished writing all of this i suspect the code's going to
look fairly similar to parts of DBIx::Class::ResultSet - we preferred
resultsets as first-class concepts whereas CDBI (and Rose::DB::Object) are
firmly wedded to the class-is-table, object-is-row philosophy.

It's probably worth having a close look at the ResultSet API and making a
decision whether to port the parts of the API you need to your custom
Class::DBI::Iterator class (or as a patch to CDBI core), or to switch your
code across to DBIx::Class.

If you choose the first route I'll do my best to answer questions on here
about the best way to copy stuff across; I've got a pretty good knowledge of
both codebases. If you choose the second then we'll be happy to help on the
dbix-class list but I'll get shouted at again if I mention it much more on here :)