[CDBI] Cascading Update

Jay Hargreaves jay at rigadon.com
Mon Feb 6 21:38:22 GMT 2006

Hi everyone!

I have two tables: News and NewsCategories. As you might have guessed
the News table contains a news_category field for referencing the
NewsCategories.

I've created an admin script to allow users to create/modify/delete News
and NewsCategories entries. But I am having trouble when updating the
NewsCategories entry with a new ID. If I just change the ID in the
object and do an update nothing happens - perhaps I have missed
something as this seems the obvious way to do this.

So instead I have tried using the NewsCategories->move(etc) command. But
doing just this creates a new entry in the NewsCategories table and
leaves the old one there. So I tried adding an obj->delete for the
original entry. That works - except it has the nasty side effect of
deleting all News entries for the selected NewsCategory!!

So my (probably very simple) question is how do I change the ID of a
NewsCategories entry and is it possible to have this update all News
entries with the new NewsCategories ID?

Thanks
Jay

--