[CDBI] reconnecting after timeout

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Feb 21 15:41:24 GMT 2006

On Tue, Feb 21, 2006 at 09:27:39AM -0600, Jay Strauss wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 February 2006 9:13 am, Matt S Trout wrote:
> > It should auto-reconnect on its own. If it doesn't then I suspect your
> > DBD::Oracle isn't correctly reporting the closed connection.
>
> Are you sure about it doing it on it's own?
>
> I'm using DBD::Oracle = $DBD::Oracle::VERSION = '1.16';
> I'm using Oracle instantclient_10_2
>
> That stuff should be recent enough.
>
> (Tim Bunce are you lurking?  can you shed any light?)

Ima::DBI calls $dbh->ping and checks $dbh->{Active} before it uses the $dbh.

If the connection is dead one of those should return false.

It's always worked beautifully for me on every database I tried it on; what
DBIx::Class does is extremely similar and I haven't had any problems with
that either - including our Oracle-based users, a number of whom came from
CDBI and didn't have this problem there either.

So I'm definitely voting for "not Class::DBI's fault".