[CDBI] Disabling %Live_Objects; creating a cache

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Fri Jan 13 00:19:19 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 10:44 +1100, Rick Welykochy wrote:
> In a post before Xmas someone mentioned turning off the %Live_Objects
> mechanism in a thread about CDBI scalability and speed.
>
> Is this a practical thing to do? Has anyone tried?

You'll never get it turned off!  NEVER!  Ha ha ha!

Or use this:
$Class::DBI::Weaken_Is_Available = 0;

> Also, has anyone thought about / implemented an object cache for
> CDBI? Seems like a relatively easy thing to do.

Caching database data is never all that easy.  There are complex issues
involved.  You can try the caching in Class::DBI::Sweet or you can ditch
Class::DBI and try Rose::DB::Object, which has caching.  I think you'll
find it opens a can of worms, but may be worth it if your system is
having performance problems.