[CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Jan 17 16:15:33 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:18:20AM +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> If nobody's going to kill me for advocacy I'd be happy to work with the
> list on one - maybe if we aggregate them together we can sort out a joint
> "ORM comparison guide" between the three communities or similar.

Well, apparently nobody is. At least not so far. So here's a quick (not
exhaustive) list of the things I think makes DBIC a better choice -

- Multi-col primary key support natively from the start
    (although CDBI is much better these days, I think there are still gotchas)
- Extension via C3 MI composition
    (rather than the import-based nightmare that is CDBI::Plugin::*)
- Native complex search, join and prefetch support
- Real resultset objects (far more powerful than CDBI's Iterator)
- Independent backends via the Storage API
- Objects don't end up being isa DBI
- Less reliance on class data
- Public svn repository and substantial developer presence on list and IRC

The points most cited by users who've switched are multi-primaries, ease of
extension, and the open, participatory development model.