[CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Tue Jan 17 19:00:47 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:44:08PM -0500, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-17 at 18:40 +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> > Hmm. I'm sure Ima::DBI did something odd at one point in its life. Tony
> > may have changed that, or my memory could be blurred.
>
> That might have been before DBIx::ContextualFetch was pulled out of it.
> I think that was part of Ima::DBI before.

That would make sense.

> > The fact that it's impossible to make Class::DBI use ->prepare instead of
> > ->prepare_cached without re-declaring every single damn set_sql it uses is
> > probably what my addled brain was getting at.
>
> Why wouldn't you want to use prepare_cached?

(1) dodgy DBD (DBD::AnyData, I hate you so much ...)

(2) because the way Ima::DBI uses it, it'll recycle a live sth you'd hung onto
    because you weren't finished fetching data from it, thus screwing your app
    up quite spectactularly. It only works for CDBI because CDBI fetches all
    the data from the sth straight off and throws it away.