[CDBI] How well does Class::DBI scale?

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Sun Jan 22 22:56:11 GMT 2006

Aaron Trevena wrote:

> Your results are pretty much what I expected to see, but one thing I
> have frequently done is skip using objects when they aren't needed -
> if you are generating a dropdown in a form, you only need the id and
> name fields so far large frequently used lists I just re-use the
> search queries, but fetchall_arrayref on them instead of
> sth_to_objects - saves on instantiating dozens or hundreds of objects,
> and if it's mostly static and re-used a lot you can pull it in at
> startup and re-use a cached copy of the list.

I've also considered creating a read-only cache for frequently
used objects. Sometimes whole tables can be cache if they are
read-only and reasonably sized.

I certainly hear you with regards to creating an (id,label) array
for dropdown lists.

Class::HTML::Input::DropDownList::DBI anyone?

cheers
rickw

--
Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services

Web (hosting), security and high-performance computing are the
three areas where Linux has more strength.
      -- Bob Muglia, senior VP in charge of Windows Server development