ORM comparison suggestion (was Re: [CDBI] Class::DBI vs DBIx::Class)

Tim Bunce Tim.Bunce at pobox.com
Wed Mar 1 09:59:39 GMT 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:56:27AM -0600, Peter Speltz wrote:
> On 2/28/06, Matt S Trout <dbix-class at trout.me.uk> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 01:20:34PM +0000, William Ross wrote:
>
> > Sounds like fun, except suddenly it's a web framework competition as well.
> > Which somewhat misses the point.
>
> I dont think so. How a framework uses / can use an ORM is quite
> relevant. Is there a good bit of code written for you already -- a
> nifty base class for your ORM ?  How can you use your ORM with this
> framework?  In Maypole, if you dont want to use a Class::DBI type ORM
> you have some work to do before you can use Maypole.  So i say what
> frameworks do with ORMs is relevant to ORM comparison.  Could be the
> most relevant thing for me actually as when it comes down to it, most
> or a good deal of my code is on the ORM level it seems.

I see it as a relevant but separate issue.

I'd like to see a comparison of ORM modules that is independent of what
software is typically layered on top.

How easily/well certain web frameworks can use certain ORMs (or how
closely tied they are) is certainly important information, but secondary.
It belongs in an appendix.

Tim.