[CDBI] Re: ChopBlanks=>0

Edward J. Sabol sabol at alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 16 21:14:39 GMT 2006

> I was wondering if anyone knows why Class::DBI requires the DBI
> connection attribute ChopBlanks?

This is a total guess, but I suspect it might have something to do with
supporting primary keys of type char. Suppose you create an entry with a
primary key equal to "foo". When CDBI retrieves it from the database though,
the primary key would appear to have changed or just different from what was
requested. It's now "foo       " or the like.

It might be worth just trying it out and see what happens. It's possible the
reason for it is historical or simply aesthetic. I don't recall any reports
on the mailing list in the past couple of years from anyone who has tried it.

Hope this helps a little,
Ed