[CDBI] Retrieving Columns Other then Essentials

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Mar 17 22:16:27 GMT 2006

Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> This is *much* slower than the original slow down in loading all the
> columns instead of just some, so if there is anything other than a
> vanishingly small chance of requiring that extra data or some other good
> reason for not doing so (like the extra data is huge - blobs etc) then
> its probably best to just stuff it all into Essential.

Exacto. I sped up a medium-sized app (50 tables) by putting
all non-blob columns for all tables into Essential. The
web pages run 50% - 200% faster.

It is false economy to niggle about a column here or there: the
many (hidden) returns trips to the database bog your app down
far far more than loading a few extra columns that you might
not use.

As always, YMMV, and you should gather some metrics regarding
your app's performance.

cheers
rickw

--