[CDBI] Re: Class-DBI on Apache/MS-Windows

Edward J. Sabol sabol at alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Mar 22 04:35:24 GMT 2006

> I'm waiting for a CDBI person to answer me this question, if there
> is an answer.

I thought Perrin did a reasonably good job of responding to your original
question already, but I'll take a shot.... Feel free to ignore my advice if
you don't like it.

In my opinion, you should just stop using set_up_table(). Define your columns
and relationships explicitly using the standard CDBI methods. If you do that,
then Apache won't try to connect to the database before initiating any
threads and your problem is solved.

I know a lot of people use set_up_table() or CDBI::Loader/AutoLoader and I
suppose they can be useful if you're doing rapid prototyping and such, but I
just think they are all more trouble than they're worth, *especially* in an
Apache/mod_perl environment.

Hope this helps,
Ed