[CDBI] Re: Class-DBI on Apache/MS-Windows

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Thu Mar 23 19:26:13 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 01:00 +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
>   > Apache::DBI shouldn't be caching the connection during server startup.
>
> Apache::DBI is a pain. DBIx::Class now simply routes round it rather than
> trying to figure out if it's behaving sanely this week or not. I've cured
> probably 5% of the CDBI problems we've consulted on by unloading the damn
> thing, and another 10% by disabling mod_php.

It works correctly on Linux.  I can't vouch for the startup-checking
functionality on Windows because I've seen complaints from people on the
mod_perl list about the way Apache2::ServerUtil::restart_count works on
Windows.

I do think the way Apache::DBI overrides disconnect and the integration
with DBI both look a little crufty these days.  Still a good tool for
porting legacy CGIs, but for new things I now just use
DBI->connect_cached and a tiny cleanup handler to issue a rollback after
every request.