[CDBI] Apps using Class::DBI

Simon Wilcox essuu at ourshack.com
Wed Mar 29 19:01:49 BST 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Dan Sully wrote:

> Start by going to http://search.cpan.org/~mstrout/DBIx-Class-0.06000/
>
> And then not thinking about Class::DBI anymore.

Yes, your head will be far too busy exploding trying to figure out just
how all the pieces of the DBIC puzzle fit together as the docs are rather
fragmented. If I had enough time I'd try and write a porting guide, for
programmers rather than programs. Having started as a Class::DBI
reimplementation Matt has headed off in new directions and even though
there's a compat layer it's not easy to get your head around how DBIC
works from a migrating user POV.

DBIC looks to be cool but it may not suit everyone. If your needs are
modest, CDBI seems easier to get into. Of course, your needs won't *stay*
modest so understanding DBIC is probably a good investment but the
learning curve is steeper IME.

But this is the CDBI mailing list and lets not descend into flame wars
please folks.

Simon.
Listmom.