[CDBI] Apps using Class::DBI

Matt S Trout dbix-class at trout.me.uk
Wed Mar 29 19:27:18 BST 2006

Simon Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Dan Sully wrote:
>
>> Start by going to http://search.cpan.org/~mstrout/DBIx-Class-0.06000/
>>
>> And then not thinking about Class::DBI anymore.
>
> Yes, your head will be far too busy exploding trying to figure out just
> how all the pieces of the DBIC puzzle fit together as the docs are rather
> fragmented. If I had enough time I'd try and write a porting guide, for
> programmers rather than programs. Having started as a Class::DBI
> reimplementation Matt has headed off in new directions and even though
> there's a compat layer it's not easy to get your head around how DBIC
> works from a migrating user POV.

It was never intended to be a Class::DBI re-implementation exactly. In fact it
was originally supposed to be a research project :)

The 0.06000 docs are vastly improved in terms of introductory info though, so
it's well worth a poke round. We're also having a discussion on the dbic list
atm as to what extra stuff needs explaining to make the laerning curve shallower.

> DBIC looks to be cool but it may not suit everyone. If your needs are
> modest, CDBI seems easier to get into. Of course, your needs won't *stay*
> modest so understanding DBIC is probably a good investment but the
> learning curve is steeper IME.

Right. The difference can be adequately explained simply by quoting the two
projects' main package SYNOPSIS lines -

Class::DBI - Simple Database Abstraction
DBIx::Class - Extensible and flexible object <-> relational mapper.

Have a good look at both (and probably Rose::DB::Object as well). Decide which
one best fits your project and your conceptual model. Then implement with
whichever one you choose.