[CDBI] Apps using Class::DBI

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Wed Mar 29 19:27:35 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 13:05 -0500, Eric Berg wrote:
> So's that the generally accepted take on this issue:  new dev should be
> DBIx::Class, and not Class::DBI?

There's no generally accepted take on this issue.  However, both
DBIx::Class and Rose::DB::Object can do things that Class::DBI doesn't
do.  These include more complex queries without needing to write SQL and
more efficient use of SQL (fewer database calls to get the same data).

In practice, Class::DBI goes pretty far if you don't mind writing the
more complex queries out as SQL, which I don't.  It still does all the
grunt work for you, and organizes your SQL nicely.  We have a large
Class::DBI app running on a patched version of 0.96 + a few plugins and
no plans to change it.  There have been a few spots where the
performance requirements were too much for Class::DBI, so we dropped
down to straight DBI, and none of the ORMs can get anywhere close to
that performance at this point.