[CDBI] Re: Apps using Class::DBI

Christopher H. Laco claco at chrislaco.com
Wed Mar 29 19:45:35 BST 2006

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 13:24 -0500, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
>> First, there's the threading/forking issues of CDBI based projects, esp.
>> when it comes to preloading in things like Apache/ModPerl. DBIC is more
>> thread/fork friendly out of the box.
>
> This is partly my fault for not getting my Ima::DBI fix onto CPAN yet.
> I'll try to do something about that Real Soon.
>
>> Transactions. It's possible in CDBI, but it's hackish at best. DBIC is
>> built wwith then in mind, instead of as an afterthought.
>
> Could you give an example?  I always thought of transactions as pretty
> much orthogonal to Class::DBI.  What's different about them in
> DBIx::Class?

/me puts on Matt hat/
It works!
/me removes Matt hat/

Sorry,
I couldn't resist.

As for the examples:
http://wiki.class-dbi.com/wiki/Using_transactions

That page makes a pretty clear case that transactions don't JustWork
with CDBI.

Plus, fighting AutoCommit, vs. autoupdate/update, vs. Transactions is
just way to complicated...or more than it has to be I think.

-=Chris