[CDBI] Re: Apps using Class::DBI

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Wed Mar 29 20:11:52 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-29 at 13:45 -0500, Christopher H. Laco wrote:
> As for the examples:
> http://wiki.class-dbi.com/wiki/Using_transactions
>
> That page makes a pretty clear case that transactions don't JustWork
> with CDBI.
>
> Plus, fighting AutoCommit, vs. autoupdate/update, vs. Transactions is
> just way to complicated...or more than it has to be I think.

Well, what I was asking is what's different about it in DBIx::Class.
AutoCommit and transactions are database features, not ORM features.  If
DBIx::Class has no equivalent of autoupdate, I suppose that's different,
but autoupdate has no effect on transactions.

The stuff on that wiki page is unnecessary.  I wouldn't touch
do_transaction() with a 10 foot pole.  All you actually need is
My::Class->dbi_commit().

These days I have started keeping AutoCommit on and turning it off for
blocks where I want a transaction with local $dbh->{AutoCommit}, but
that's all DBI-level stuff.  Class::DBI doesn't interfere with it.