[CDBI] Please fix CDBI::mysql

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Sat May 6 16:52:23 BST 2006

On 06/06, Karjala <karjala_lists at karjala.org> wrote:
> Is it possible to fix CDBI::mysql so as all field names in SQL
> statements are surrounded by ` ` ?
>
> This would allow fields with names like "group" to exist in tables.

Don't use database keywords in your schema!

It's incredibly bad practice and liable to screw up sooner rather than
later - I'm dealing with a schema containing keywords in Postgres and
it's a PITA. The guy who designed it also denormalised and joins
related tables on hand-entered text strings, or portions of them. This
also sucks. Don't do that either.

If you're going to use an ORM or any database for anything at all
serious then you need to normalise it, ensure you aren't using
confusing names or keywords and use numeric keys to avoid relying on
user-entered data in joins.

A.