[CDBI] Database software upgrades...

Judd Taylor judd.t at orbitalsystems.com
Mon Nov 20 23:38:19 GMT 2006

This is slightly off topic, but I figure people on this list may be able
to help me out here.

I've got a lot of perl software that uses C::DBI, of which the DBI
subclass stuff is reverse-engineered from a MySQL database (using the
DBDesigner4 name conventions, etc... to work out relationships).

That scheme works well when working with a single database, but I need
to install this software with a database running at every site.

The real problem is when one site needs to upgrade the software when the
underlying database has also changed. I can just wipe the database out
and re-create it using the new upgraded format, but then all of the
previous data in the database is lost. That's no good, since users will
have to re-configure the software from scratch every time they upgrade.

Is there a simple way to I can upgrade the underlying database along
with the software, without wiping out the already-installed data?

[Or know of somewhere else I can ask that may have an answer for me?]

Thanks in advance,
	Judd Taylor

--
Judd Taylor