[CDBI] Re: Class::DBI and mod_perl

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 10:54:37 GMT 2006

On 21/11/06, Edward J. Sabol <sabol at alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> The main problem you *might* encounter with mod_perl and CDBI, which is not
> addressed by the wiki, is CDBI's "Live Objects" cache. You have to be very
> careful with your scoping if you want to use that cache. If not or you
> experience problems, it's easily deactivated. But it is good discipline for
> reducing memory leaks, I think.

I didn't think the live objects cache was that much of a problem, but
disabled it anyway (mostly because the application runs on multiple
nodes and so needs to ensure it has a fresh copy from the db)

The biggest memory use I found was the query/handle caching done in
Ima::DBI, so pass 0 as your third argument to set_sql to avoid it.
I've never found this to be a problem in a mod_perl environment - I
needed to stop it happening in my scheduler which needs to run for
months or years, in a normal mod_perl 1.x environment you probably
won't notice.

With no live object cache and no statement caching I found my
scheduler was able to run for weeks at a time with no increase of
memory usage.

Cheers,

A.

--