[CDBI] Overriding Oracle Functionality for query writing

Eric Just e-just at northwestern.edu
Fri Oct 6 18:07:12 BST 2006

Hi there,

I have been using Class::DBI 0.95 and I had to change the Oracle
functionality to get things to work properly.

When you search using Clob (text) columns in Oracle, you must use the LIKE
operator in the where clause even if its an exact match.  Using the '='
operator results in an error.  We do need to perform searches on Clob
columns so what I did was to create a Clob group for and modify
set_up_table in to populate this group.  Then I had to modify _do_search to
write the query with LIKE when the $search_type is '=' and the column is a
Clob.  I want to upgrade to the new Class::DBI 3.0.6 (the latest available
in activestate) because I'm in a mod_perl app and need
clear_object_index.  It looks like there has been a ton of work on this
package and its impressive.  My question

1.  In the short term, what method do i now need to override to get my
query correctly written for Oracle (_do_search does not work anymore)
2.  Can I modify, or communicate to someone that does, these changes to the
Oracle driver?

Please let me know if I need to clarify anything.
Thanks for your work on this fantastic package.

Eric

Eric Just
e-just at northwestern.edu
dictyBase Programmer