[CDBI] Make CDBI go fast

Tim Bunce Tim.Bunce at pobox.com
Sun Apr 22 10:57:01 BST 2007

On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 12:04:40PM -0400, John Siracusa wrote:

> You can see how much faster plain DBI is than any ORM by including it
> in the benchmark.  Example here:
>
> http://rose.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/RDBO/Benchmark/DBI

Speaking of DBI speed...

A belated Christmas present for all you speed demons:

I've moved some of the DBI handle creation code from Perl to C
for DBI 1.55 (not yet released).

That's reduced the cost of handle creation by ~20%, as measured by

    $dbh->prepare("") while (--$i); # dbh is connected to "dbi:NullP:"

I've also changed how the CachedKids attribute is handled so
connect_cached and prepare_cached no longer need to call FETCH('CachedKids').

Some similar benchmarks showed ~5% gain for connect_cached and ~30%
gain for prepare_cached. (The smaller change for connect_cached is
probably due to the relative cost of the ping() that connect_cached does.)

[This last change still needs some work to avoid forcing people to
recompile their drivers. Hopefully.]

Tim.

p.s. You can thank Shopzilla.com for this.