[CDBI] Use with mod_perl caching question

Berg, Eric eric.berg at lehman.com
Thu Dec 13 16:50:17 GMT 2007

My app uses cdbi for data acces, and CGI::App running in a mod_perl
environment.  Basically, just my CGI running under Apache::Registry.

My application runs reports and persists status to a Sybase database.
We've recently implemented an AJAX status update for the status web page
that refreshes every 5 seconds.

The problem that I'm having is that my cdbi mods in some of the apache
instances are returning stale data in response to these requests.

What I'm doing is something like this:

@status_list = My::Status->search(environment => 'PROD');

and then I tried

@status_list = My::Status->retrieve_from_sql("environment='PROD'");

but neither of these consistently return correct data from the db.
Looks to me like they just return from their local caches.

My question is, how do I force cdbi to always go to the db for specific
requests?

I can see that if there were only one process updating the database,
that the cached version of my modules would always have the correct
data, but I run in a mod_perl environment with multiple child processes,
and also have external processes that update the db -- setting status,
as a prime example.

So, any thoughts, folks?

Thanks.

Eric.

Eric D. Berg
Lehman Brothers
> Fixed Income Research

--------
IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:
Please be advised that any discussion of U.S. tax matters contained within this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of (i) avoiding U.S. tax related penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.