[CDBI] Use with mod_perl caching question

Steve Lilley slilley-cdbi at privasign.com
Fri Dec 14 20:54:46 GMT 2007

In my experience with mod_perl, most packaged versions install threaded perl.

  perl -V
  usethreads=define use5005threads=undef useithreads=define
  usemultiplicity=define

In an application I was working on, cdbi would return stale and empty data
while using threaded mod_perl.

After compiling perl and mod_perl without threads...

  perl -V
  usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef
  usemultiplicity=undef

cdbi functioned without data error or stale data.

During the install of DBI there is a warning which reads.

*** You are using a perl configured with threading enabled.
*** You should be aware that using multiple threads is
*** not recommended for production environments.

I have a feeling that may be your issue. Hopefully you have enough control
to recompile perl and mod_perl, if not I don't know of a runtime switch to
disable threads.

Good luck,

Steve

I am looking for a lot of men who have an infinite capacity to not know
what can't be done. -- Henry Ford