[CDBI] Re: Fast fetch-on-demand iterator complete

Edward J. Sabol sabol at alderaan.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 22 04:37:27 GMT 2007

Michael Schwern wrote:
> I've completed work on the fetch-on-demand iterator. You can get the patch
> here: http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=24959

I like the overall implementation very much. Very unobtrusive. The
refactoring and ->iterator_class(...) class method is very much in the spirit
of Class::DBI. I do have a few nits to pick, however:

I suggest wrapping all pod lines to less than 80 columns and removing any
hard tabs in pod, such as in the following line:

"Class::DBI ships with several iterator classes.	 See L<SEE ALSO> here in this document for a list.	Others may be found on CPAN."

Style nits: "unless( ... )" should be "unless (...)" and "if( ... )" should be
"if (...)" to adhere to (presumably Tony's at this point) overall Class::DBI
programming style.

> It requires an Ima::DBI patch to allow finer control of the statement
> handle cache. http://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=25073

This is long overdue and *much* needed. If we could get Perrin's
mod_perl-related patch integrated too, we'd have a damn fine Ima::DBI release
here.

> There are now three iterators.
> * PreFetch - The old CDBI::Iterator which fetches everything up front
> * OnDemand - The new fetch-on-demand CDBI::Iterator
> * OnDemand::Opportunistic - More on this below

Naming nits: I don't feel strongly about it, but I think "PreFetch" should be
"Prefetch". "PreFetch" just looks a little weird to me. And
"OnDemand::Opportunistic" seems overly long. Maybe just "Hybrid" instead?

Later,
Ed