[CDBI] Re: Class::DBI and forking

Perrin Harkins perrin at elem.com
Wed Jan 10 03:14:59 GMT 2007

Carlos Vicente wrote:
> I've come across an already discussed problem regarding forking in CDBI
> and its problems with shared db handles.  I found the following thread:
>
> http://lists.digitalcraftsmen.net/pipermail/classdbi/2006-March/000995.html
>
> which refers to the use of the InactiveDestroy flag, overriding db_Main,
> etc...
>
> The problem is that the link in that particular thread is broken and I
> cannot tell which changes exactly need to happen in the db_Main
> subclass, Ima::DBI, etc...

The message it refers to is here:
http://lists.digitalcraftsmen.net/pipermail/classdbi/2005-October/000338.html

If you use this patch to Ima::DBI, you will not need to modify anything
else in Class::DBI.  Make sure you set InactiveDestroy on your database
handles in the child process, and on any you open prior to the initial
fork, since those eventually time out and close as well.