[CDBI] Memcached

Derek Watson watson at wayspa.com
Fri Jan 26 19:18:31 GMT 2007

Comments are in-line, below

On 1/26/07, Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> wrote:
> I've tried to do this stuff, and gotten some degree of success,

Can you share your approach and experience? Did you overload
retrieve() and update()? Did it work as expected?

> but I believe it was Perrin who told me first that if you have to cache that much, you are
> probably going to get a better return by fixing the database or your queries
> instead.  Sorry if I ruined the quote too badly, Perrin.

A) Why would you assume that database optimization and object caching
are mutually exclusive? B) Why would you assume that my database has
the ability to outperform Memcached?

Memcached is a key component in making some of the web's most heavily
trafficked sites possibe: (http://www.danga.com/memcached/users.bml)
and it alarms me that I can't find anyone using it with CDBI.
Furthermore, it's sad that 2 pillars of the Perl community would
discourage it's usage.

Frankly -- should I be looking at a different object persistence
layer, or a different development environment?

Derek