[CDBI] How do I use deflate?

Eric Busto EBusto at nvidia.com
Fri Jun 1 23:15:59 BST 2007

Lets say I have two tables:
CREATE TABLE hosts (
   host_id   INT PRIMARY KEY,
   hostname  VARCHAR(64),
   location_id INT REFERENCES locations
);

CREATE TABLE locations (
   location_id INT PRIMARY KEY,
   name        VARCHAR(16)
);

I have two packages to represent those objects:

package Host;
use base 'MyBaseClass';
Host->table('hosts');
Host->columns(Primary   => qw/host_id/);
Host->columns(Essential => qw/hostname location_id/);
Host->has_a(location_id => 'Location');

package Location;
use base 'MyBaseClass';
Location->table('locations');
Location->columns(Primary => qw/location_id/);
Location->columns(Essential => qw/name/);

I can update the location_id field for a host just fine like this:
$host->location_id(1); # or some other location's primary key

I want to be able to update the location_id field for a host like so:
$host->location_id('SomeLocationName');

>From what I have gathered from the docs, I should be able to use deflate
in has_a to do the translation from SomeLocationName to that location's
ID/primary key.  It seems like it should be as simple as:
Host->has_a(location_id => 'Location',
            deflate     => 'id');

This should call the Location object's id method before update the
location_id column of the host table, right?  If I'm being an idiot,
please set me straight.

Thanks.
-Eric