[CDBI] Make CDBI go fast

Brad Bowman list at bereft.net
Thu Mar 22 00:27:35 GMT 2007

Michael G Schwern wrote:
> Brad Bowman wrote:
>> Does any database allow a LIMIT $N index?  I mean, maintaining an index
>> of the top 10 only, updating as the appropriate.  Or is this best done
>> another way?
>
> *snip*
>
>> Sounds like my suggestion wouldn't apply in any case, given the flexibility
>> of the searches.
>
> Postgres might be able to do it, given its general flexibility.  It allows you
> to index expressions and using WHERE clauses already.  Unfortunately only
> indexing the first N doesn't help as soon as someone asks for the next N.
> Still, it might help if most folks don't ask for the next page.

Don't you just love Postgres:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/indexes-partial.html

Mysql, "You cannot associate a trigger with a TEMPORARY table or a view."
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/create-trigger.html
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bsb/195237640/

Brad

--
  Furthermore, if you are slain in battle, you should be resolved to
  have your corpse facing the enemy. -- Hagakure