[CDBI] TEMP columns not persisting through $self->add_to_<something>s

Berg, Eric eric.berg at lehman.com
Mon May 14 23:38:11 BST 2007

I'm not loving TEMP columns this week.  They're too TEMP.  I'm working
on an app that instantiates a simple hierarchy of Test Suite, Tests, and
Test Actions.  The Test Actions run reports, and have parameters for
those reports that I was going to persist via a file generated by
Storable instead of keeping that stuff in the db.

Now, when I get  a Test object, and add Action objects to it like this:

Test->has_many(actions => 'Action');
$action = $test->add_to_actions($action_parameters);

Now, at this point, the $action object is in tact, but when I return
from the method (a method of Test, btw) that does the add_to_actions(),
the actions are empty, so we'd have to go back to the db to get the
data...only it's not in there, because they're temp columns.

Why do my TEMP columns disappear in the middle of the execution of a
program?

Any thoughts.  Sorry if I've not done a spectacular job of laying out
the problem, but something implementing this is due Wednesday, and this
has put me behind quite a bit.

Eric.

--------
IRS Circular 230 Disclosure:
Please be advised that any discussion of U.S. tax matters contained within this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used for the purpose of (i) avoiding U.S. tax related penalties or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.