[CDBI] List still active ?

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 17:08:42 BST 2008

2008/8/27 Perrin Harkins <perrin at elem.com>:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Simon Wilcox <essuu at ourshack.com> wrote:
>> So, in an attempt to liven things up a bit - who's still using Class::DBI ?
>
> I am.  The main codebase I work on these days is built with it and I
> expect it will remain that way.

Many of the codebases I work with on occasion are C::DBI, and my main
current project very nearly was.

I wouldn't call the C::DBI codebases I was working on up until
recently legacy though, they're maintainable and C::DBI does the job,
DBIx::Class probably could have made some things easier, but it wasn't
mature at the early stages of those projects and C::DBI is also
a fair ammount quicker to get started with (still).

>> Is anyone using it for new projects or have you replaced it with
>> something else and if so, with what ?
>
> For clean slate projects, I would use Rose::DB::Object, but that kind
> of project is rare.  The beautiful and terrible thing about Class::DBI
> is that you can solve almost any issue with it by using SQL, so it's
> hard to justify spending the time to port working code to something
> else.

Now that I'm probably even more familiar with DBIx::Class than C::DBI
I'd probably
use that instead for new projects - I made the leap for a recent
project where we moved away
from thousands of lines of sql snippets being assembled and wrapped in
an inhouse db mapper,
and it's been pretty successful.

The joins and prefetch work very nicely, and in hindsight I think it
would have been a struggle with C::DBI, but then it is 50 tables with
a lot of joins being used.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk