[CDBI] I am still with Class::DBI - anyone else?

Aaron Johnson aaronjjohnson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:12:41 BST 2009

Kate,

I started using Class::DBI several years ago, shortly after it had
come out.  I still have several projects that use it and I have built
some projects that use DBIx::Class as well in the last year.

I am the author of the Class::DBI::Plugin::FilterOnClick and at one
point I started to rewrite it to work under DBIx::Class as well, but
have not completed it yet.  That was at least two years ago.

After having worked with both modules I still like Class::DBI better,
but as with any software in the Internet era we have to keep moving
forward to what has a bigger community if we hope to have support and
get more pre-built goodies.  It seems strange to me that we discount a
module sometimes because it hasn't been updated in a while.  Somehow
frequency of update trumps usefulness.  Not for everyone mind you, but
it seems to be an increasing attitude.

My use of Class::DBI at this stage is completely maintenance and I
would not start any new projects in it simply because developers that
would be assisting in new projects have most likely use DBIx::Class
instead so it *might* be easier to find someone with experience to
help.

In a way I think Class::DBI was ahead of the game, OO Perl had not yet
become cool enough so adoption of Class::DBI was low.  When it was
cool there was the blow up on the mailing list and I think all of that
was just poor timing.  It is a solid abstraction of SQL and can make
somethings easier then DBIx::Class, but the lack of adoption for the
wrong reasons really hurt it.

Those are my two cents anyway.

Aaron