[CDBI] How to sort "has_many" relation after I've declared it?

paul trader fliptop at igolinux.com
Tue Aug 21 17:42:48 BST 2012

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 at 10:35, David McMath opined:

DM:I looked at Class::DBI::Sweet as well.  I don't have the guts to change
DM:my base class today but it looks a bit more promising

hi david - i've read through your solution and am wondering, have you
looked at using class::dbi::abstractsearch?

it's not quite as elegant as passing an 'order_by' clause when calling a
has_many relationship, but in those instances where you may want to sort
results of the same relationship differently, it works nicely.

instead of:

__PACKAGE__->has_many(tracks => Music::Cd::Track, { order_by =>
'track_num' });

...and later...

my @tracks = $cd->tracks;

you can do this using c::dbi::abstractsearch:

use Class::DBI::AbstractSearch;
__PACKAGE__->has_many(tracks => Music::Cd::Track);

...and later...

my @tracks = Music::Cd::Track->search_where(
  { cd       => $cd->id },
  { order_by => 'track_num ASC' }
);

# or maybe you want the tracks alphabetically:
my @tracks = Music::Cd::Track->search_where(
  { cd       => $cd->id },
  { order_by => 'title ASC' }
);

as i said, it's not quite as elegant, but it does work.

c::dbi::abstractsearch also includes methods for using limit/offset which
is very handy as well.  it's a very useful extension to c::dbi.

regards, paul